Students talking - language matters, part 1



We'd like to collect young peoples' stories of learning languages here. A number of Polish students from European classes present their ideas underneath and are pretty emotional about studying foreign languages. It seems that language lessons evoke extreme emotions, which has always been the case with school.

Why don't you share your ideas in the comments box as well? Looking forward to hearing from you:).

Wiktoria P., 3b
When I was in kindergarten I started learn English. About 3 years ago I started learn Japanese and 2 years ago - Korean. I was inspired by films and music, these languages and their culture. And in the future I am more fluent in Japanese and Korean I want to learn Irish language.


Grzegorz Ś. and Maciej A., 3b
I've been studying English since kindergarten, Maciek started in primary school and we've been advancing ever since. I would like to study French and Maciek would like to study Chinese.


Anna G. and Konrad Z., 3b
We started learning English in the kindergarten while playing and just learning normal classes. In the primary school for the first 3 years we had only one foreign language: English, later we had English and German. After school we got extra lessons. In the middle school we continued it. But now in high school we finished learning German and started learning Spanish (Ania) and Russian (Konrad).


Przemysław L., 3b
In my opinion languages were always one of the most important school subjects but at the same time they're one of the most useless ones. The idea is good but the actual classes are not really that efficient. I've been studying English for 11 years now but only when I was 13 and I've gone to a week long camp in Canada it was then when I started getting English. You can achieve the same level without going out to people like that but it requires painstaking work. But second bonus language like German, Spanish, French, Russian etc. require even more work and dedication which only a handful of students will have, making said classes a waste of time and energy for most. I've wanted to study French for 6 years now but I never could be landed in a school which taught it, so I just yawned through 3 years of German and now I'm on my 3rd year of Spanish and I won't remember anything (except 5 sentences from each).

Dorota S., 3b
My experiences with learning languages are mixed, in one side I really enjoy doing that and on the other hand it is a difficult task. When I was learning German I hated it. It was so tough and I was so awkward I couldn't understand it.


Julia W., 3b
I started learning English in primary school. I study English because I want to have good work in future. Also, I learn Spanish which is the second most used languages in the world. In my opinion, the best way of learning languages is watching movies and reading books.

Jan Sz. and Mikołaj W., 3b
1. We started learning English in pre-school. 2. We have been learning English since then. 3. I (Jan) started learning German in middle school and Mikołaj started studying German in middle school but in high school he took up Spanish.

Oliwia Z., 1b 
I started learning foreign languages when I was 6 years old. The very first language that I've started learning was English. I really like this language because I can talk with people from other countries. After a few years my grandmother who's French started teaching me her first language. Then, in middle school I chose French as my 3rd language. At this moment I'm learning six languages: English, French, Spanish, Norwegian, Italian and Portuguese. I would like to learn more languages and work with them in the future.


Jagoda M., 1b
I started my journey with studying foreign languages when I was 8. My first foreign language is English. I am studying English at school and at home. I really like it and I would love to know it perfectly. In primary school I had Russian as second language but I didn't really like that so I didn't study. In middle school my second language from Russian turned to German. But same as my second language from primary school - I didn't like it. In high school I chose Spanish as my second language. I like Spanish culture so I will try to learn it. I had episode in my life when I was studying Italian by myself but I gave up because it was too difficult.

Weronika C, 1b
My journey with English started when I came to kindergarten. I had one lesson per week in that time. In middle school I started to study German but it was really hard and boring for me so in middle school I had French lessons. In high school, I chose Spanish and I hope I will learn it quickly.
In home, I study Korean by myself. After Korean, I want to learn Chinese, Japanese and Hindi. English will be probably for all my life because of my international friends.

Jakub Z., 1b
 My first foreign language which I learned is English. Later, I started learn German. I learning English language for about 7 years, I think. For about three years I'm going to extra lessons of English of course. In the 1st class of upper secondary school I started learn German
I think this two languages are perfect for me and I won't have the 3rd language.

Jakub H., 1b
I have been learning English for 10 years and it is so much fun. When I was in the first grade in primary school I had noticed that this language is for me. The best part is learning English in the vocabulary part. I love learning some of the new words. The second language I have been learning is German. I can't stand learning it because I don't like aggressive accent and hard long phrases. The third language that I'm learning now is Spanish. I love the accent. I will learn it for next 3 years and I know that this will be the best 3 years of being taught by the best Spanish teacher.

Tomasz S., 1b
My adventure with foreign languages have started in first class. I was learning English and German. English was for me easier and learn this language was faster than German. When I was 13 years old, I travelled first time to another country. It was in Germany. That nationality was pretty nice. I travel to that country once a year, because of my brother, he lives there. I also want to learn Spanish but I didn't have a chance to do that.

Karolina P., 1b
I've started learning my first foreign language in kindergarten when I was 4 or 5 years old. My first language I've started learning was English, then when I was 6 years old my mum decided it will be great for me to learn another foreign language so she signed me up for French lesson but I went to only a few classes and quit. In the age of 13 I started learning German in school because it wa my second foreign language that we had to take classes on. Now, I'm 16 years old, I'm still learning English and I have started learning Spanish this year in school. I would love to speak Spanish on a level that I could communicate with people that speak Spanish fluently.

Aleksandra I., 1b
My foreign language which I started first was English language. I have started it when I was six years old. My second language is German and I have started  it when I was 13 years old and I continue this language. I study English and German to this day.

Natalia M., 1b
I started learning English in the primary school. At first I wasn't really good at it and I didn't like it, but some time later I became really good at it. I've been taking part in many English exams and competitions, for example Cambridge exams. I think that I'm quite good at English now. In the first class of the middle school I started learning German. I'm not good at it, it's really difficult. I can only say simple words and sentences in German. I wish I could learn Russian, I think it's easy and interesting. I used to try to learn it at home but I don't really have time now. In the future I plan to learn Russian, French and Italian.

Ada H., 1b
I've been learning English since I was about 6 years old. It started in the kindergarten and they were teaching us basic things like colours, by playing. then in the middle school I had German classes and I still do but I don't like it much. These are the only two languages I know, but I'd really like to start learning Latin.

Tomasz J., 1b
I started learning English in kindergarten, then I went to primary school and for next 3 years I studied new language, Russian. After primary school I moved to Brussels and I joined European school where I learned English and began to study French. After 3 years I am back to Poland. Now, I'm studying in secondary school where I chose English of course and Spanish because there is no French. So after the years of education I've been learning four different languages.

Maja Mai To U., 1b
I first started learning English when I was entered elementary school, but I didn't find the language that interesting until I was in fourth grade so I was 9 years old. I don't remember when I started learning Polish, I just remember talking  in Polish but I have no memory of learning it. I also started learning German in middle school and although I had good grades from that subject, I wouldn't be able to communicate in German very well. To this day English is my favourite language to talk in.

Filip K., 1b
I have started learning English when I was eight. And it was my first language. After 3 years of learning my parent bought out some lessons in a a private school 'Britain'. I have learned English for like seven years till today I learning English. But when I was thirteen I must learn German in school but I didn't like this but now in high school I started learning Spanish and it's my favourite language.

Maksymilian P., 1b
I started learning English when I was in the first class of primary school also from the same year I have been learning French for 6 years, then 3 years of Spanish. Now this is my first year learning German and it's quite hard for me. To this day I'm learning English, its grammar, accents and new words. I'm considering taking up Italian language lessons because I really like the sound of this language.

Filip R., 1b
My first language that I started learning was English in primary school. I think English is the most important language in Europe because we can easily communicate with people in other countries. As a 13-year-old teenager I started to learn German. I don't really like this language and I don't know so much about this language.

Łukasz Sz., 1b
I have been learning English since I was 4 years old, then in 4th grade I was forced to learn German, and I'm learning it to this day, and I've started learning Russian on my own at home this year. When I learn Russian to the point that I'd be able to hold a decent conversation, I'll start learning Chinese or Japanese, also on my own.

Comments

  1. To have a look at Serbian students' reflections go to https://we-speak-european.blogspot.com/2018/10/students-talking-part-2-language-matters.html. And don't forget to share your ideas in the comments box as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts